Each expense entered into BigTime needs to be associated with an expense type/code. We know from Editing Expense Codes that these codes are customizable and editable by system administrators. That includes setting certain expense types (like mileage) as per-unit expenses. Here’s a look at the process for establishing this type of expense and allowing users to enter and submit them.
Marking an Expense Type as a Per-Unit Expense
1. Go to MY COMPANY...FIELD VALUES from the menu bar. Then select EXPENSE CODES from the top tabs to access the Expense Codes list.
2. Select an expense code from the list. Simply click the tile for that expense type to select it. Or to create a new per-unit expense code, review the details for creating new codes in Editing Expense Codes.
3. Check the box next to “Unit(s) of Measure.” Under General Information, scroll down and place a check mark in this box. This will ensure that users enter a number of units—instead of a dollar amount—and the the value will be calculated for them automatically.
4. Set the UOM (unit of measure), Cost/Rate, and Sale/Price if desired. Input values into the UOM and cost/rate fields according to your firm’s designated rate—and the Sale/Price field if desired—and click SAVE to update the record.
Now, when users enter mileage expenses, they will be prompted to enter total mileage and the amount will be calculated based on the cost/rate established from the expense code details. The Cost and Amount fields will appear in grey and will not be editable by the staffer.
- CAN I MARK ANY EXPENSE CATEGORY AS A PER-UNIT EXPENSE?
Yes, this option is available within every expense type you create in BigTime.
- WHY IS THE TOTAL AMOUNT NOT BEING CALCULATED FOR A PER-UNIT EXPENSE ON THE EXPENSE ENTRY FORM?
Make sure that you’ve input a cost/rate value for that expense type. An entry in that field is required to make this calculation.
- WHAT RATE GETS APPLIED WHEN I INVOICE THIS TYPE OF EXPENSE?
The sales price defined on the UOM expense type gets calculated per unit when you invoice this type of expense.