In BigTime, you can add information about your project contacts and clients. Project contacts are people related to a project that you can reach out to, like a billing contact. You can add information about your contacts, such as an email address or phone number. On the other hand, clients are your customers. So client information is simply information about your customers, like their address.
If you're not familiar with projects and clients, you can read about them here.
After creating a new project in BigTime, we recommend creating project contacts. That way, you’ve got someone to reach out to if something goes awry.
- Create contacts when you start a new project so you have someone to reach out to when you’ve got project questions or concerns.
- Add contacts to each project manually or let BigTime copy contacts for you. Contacts are not applied to projects automatically, even if they’re for the same client.
- Incorporate as many contacts as you’d like, but you can only have one billing and one primary contact.
In BigTime, you can add basic contact information, like name, address, and phone number. We also have two features to further differentiate your contacts: contact type and role.
CONTACT TYPE refers to the picklist (dropdown menu) of values used to identify the contact’s category of work. Click here to learn how to edit picklists in BigTime.
In the example below, we’re acknowledging that our contact, Sally, is an accountant.
CONTACT ROLE is another way to distinguish your contact. You can choose from three roles:
- Primary contact: This person is typically listed as the main contact for the project, but isn’t necessarily the individual you’ll be sending invoices to.
- Billing contact: This individual is typically who you send invoices to.
- Other contact: This person is associated with a project, but is neither a primary or billing contact. For example, you may interact frequently with a marketing executive in order to complete a project. Keep this person’s contact information handy by creating an “other” contact.
You can create as many “other” contacts as you’d like, but you can only have one billing and one primary contact.
It’s a good idea to add as much contact information as possible, since contacts can blur together when you’ve got a lot of them. Details like contact type and role can help jog your memory and keep you organized! Once you've added all relevant details to your Contact's info page, click the blue SAVE button in the lower right corner of your window.
It’s also important to remember to add information for your client in order to utilize other BigTime functions. Click here to learn how to add client information to your projects.