If at any time you’d like to view or edit the paths for Lacerte data files to TaxLink, you can always return to this configuration after the initial sync. You might find it useful to do this if you run into any errors or would like to add additional Lacerte file paths for TaxLink to receive. This can be done from the Advanced Settings menu in TaxLink.
Choosing/Confirming Lacerte Data Paths
1. Locate your TaxLink icon in your system tray. Depending on your settings, you might see this on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, or you might need to click an arrow to reveal this icon if it’s hidden.
2. Right-click the TaxLink icon and select CONFIGURE. This will open up the configuration page.
3. Edit existing paths/links. Each Lacerte data type detected upon initial installation will display here along with a path to the file location on your machine. Remove the checkmark next to the file path to either start/stop the linking of the file path. You can also edit the path by clicking the pencil icon to the right of the path name.
4. Add additional file paths by clicking on ADD ADDITIONAL PATH. If you’d like to map a path to a file that doesn’t appear on the list, click this button to do that and locate the file on your computer.
5. Click CLOSE when you’re finished and to apply your changes.
- CAN I MAP MORE THAN ONE YEAR OF TAX RETURN DATA IN TAXLINK? Of course. Upon the initial mapping process, TaxLink will detect previous years of returns (if you have them), and you can control which versions of Lacerte data BigTime can read from to bring into BigTime.
If you have multiple years of data, simply click into the tab for the year you’d like to enable/disable and you can uncheck the box labeled ENABLE SYNCHRONIZATION. Doing so will prevent that year from being read by TaxLink and brought into BigTime.
- IF I HAVE MULTIPLE YEARS OF DATA AND LEAVE A BOX UNCHECKED NEXT TO ONE OF THEM, WILL I LOSE THAT DATA? No, unchecking boxes next to files will not delete any data. These files will still be visible from the Configure area of TaxLink if you’d like to bring them in later.
Still have questions? Try Troubleshooting TaxLink to find the answer.